Friday, February 15, 2013

New Asics Spot Directed by Austin Smithard

I am happy as a lark right now. Proud as a peacock. Silly as a goose, even!

Sorry, I've gotten ahead of myself. I'm just so pleased with how Austin Smithard's latest spot for Asics turned out. It's part of their "Nothing but Next" campaign and I dare say that in the process of shooting this spot we've discovered a new star:

"I'm ready for my close-up now, Mr. Smithard."
For 2 days, Austin, one very in shape actor, and an amazing crew (which included bird trainer Jeff Galpin and 70 of his finest homing pigeons) literally ran around shooting in the French Quarter in New Orleans, Louisiana. The spot turned out so well that Agency Spy said: "Vitro’s new Asics spot for the GEL-Kayano 19 sneaker would’ve been perfect for Super Bowl XVI with its subtle Bayou flavor and rain-soaked streets."



Here is a sentence I thought I'd never type: "The pigeons took direction and were naturals in front of the camera." In only two instances in this commercial is a pigeon composited! And I dare you to find them.


This is the second time Aero has worked with Vitro San Diego. (The first was for the Alaska Communications commercial shot by Sam O'Hare.) And speaking of seconds, this is the second spot that Austin, Sam  O'Hare (VFX Supervisor) and Tony Gentile (editor) have all worked on together (the first being Medieval Times). Keeping the workflow within the Aero family helps stretch budgets and keeps the creative focused.

I don't know about you, but I'm ready for a run! And being in New York, finding a pigeon to follow shouldn't be a problem... it's just where you end up that's the issue.

Click HERE to see the full :60.

CREDITS:

Directed/DP: Austin Smithard
Edited by: Austin Smithard and Tony Gentile, Aero Post
VFX: Aero Studios 
Agency: Vitro San Diego 
Creative Chairman: John Vitro
Creative Director: Kent Thayer
Copywriter: Simone Nobili
Art Director: Kiumars Gourki
Agency Producer: Mickey Strider
Account Director: Adrienne Horlick
Production House: Aero Film

Post Supervisor: Bree McCool
Music: Huey "Piano" Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails